Spider Sightings Increase in Fall Months
Many Home Paramount customers notice an increased presence of spiders in the early fall months as the arachnids become more obvious while they search for a mate. Even though most spider species in the United States don’t pose health risks to humans, most people aren’t comfortable with spiders sharing their space. The best way to prevent spider infestations is to remove harborage sites.
Spiders seek out secluded, undisturbed areas where they can build a web to catch their next meal, which means attics, basements and seldom used closets could be harboring these pests. Spiders can also crawl into structures through damaged window screens or cracks in the siding, meaning homeowners and property managers should conduct periodic checks of these areas to reduce spider problems.
It’s important to note that the black widow and brown recluse spiders are two species found in the United States that do pose health risks to humans when disturbed or feeling threatened.
According to the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), the brown recluse spider typically does not bite humans unless threatened, but their bites can be painful and result in open sores. Measuring about a half inch with a dark brown violin marking on its back, brown recluse spiders build their webs in warm, dry and dark environments, notably basements and closets. Similarly, black widow spiders do not bite humans instinctively. However, when they do bite, they can cause extremely painful bites, especially for children and the elderly. Recognized for its red hourglass shape under the abdomen, these spiders spin their webs close to the ground and are most often found in woodpiles and undisturbed areas.
Tips to help prevent contact with spiders:
- Avoid keeping clothing and shoes on the floor, especially if in an area known for spiders.
- Seal cracks and crevices around the home or office.
- Vacuum/sweep away webs.
- Keep garages, attics and basements clean and clutter free.
- If a spider bites you, contact your primary care physician for medical advice.
- If you have a spider problem, contact Home Paramount!
Why Choose Us?
Providing Reliable Pest & Wildlife Solutions Since 1939
At Home Paramount Pest Control, we have been dedicated to delivering reliable pest and wildlife management solutions for over 80 years. Our long-standing presence in the industry speaks volumes about our commitment to excellence and customer satisfaction. When you trust our team, you can always count on:
- Customized solutions to suit your specific needs
- Same-day service availability for pest infestation emergencies
- High-quality green products that are safe for the environment
- Complimentary pest inspections
- Affordable financing solutions tailored to your budget